Thursday, June 22, 2006

Teenage Boys

If you have teenage boys, read Stephanie's great post on the 4reallearning board about Affirming Teens Great reminder and summary of general principles; and the ideas apply to all kids, as well.

I think the emotional tanks concept comes from Ross Campbell's How to Really Love Your Child;-- at least, that is where I first heard it. He has another book called How to Really Love Your Teen which I haven't read, but moms who I respect recommend it highly.

Teenage boys have their challenges no doubt but they are So.Much.Fun as well. My latest 13 year old.... cracks me up. I can remember when my younger brother went through that "superstar" stage (he's now a pastor), but my older two boys didn't, really, so it's fun to relive it now after 25 years. (The comments are attributable to him as well, if you couldn't already tell, and no, he's not really like that all the time -- how could he be, with 2 older brothers and 1 older sister? -- he was in a Gilderoy Lockhart mood when he wrote it)

Another book I am reading that presents an interesting account of the life of a Catholic teenage boy, from his own present perspective as a young father, is Swimming with Scapulars.

The St Michael the Archangel prayer is a good one to say for the young teenagers in our society. I say it nightly for my teens and for teenagers universally.

No comments: