Thursday, January 12, 2006

Zone or Focus Tasks

(This is the rotation of things to be done Thursdays)

I'm on an organizing tear. I woke up and realized that I've been unable to do much beyond the minimum around the house, for pretty good reason. Besides the holidays, we all got the flu and Aidan went to the hospital a couple of times.
I still get tired easily when I actually DO to much (or that's my alibi ;-)) so I decided to devote this deep cleaning day to reorganizing my system. So I can sit around on the computer and still feel like I'm being organized (!!) I have this all on individual cards, by the way, color-coded -- yellow for daily, blue for weekly, green for monthly, pink for seasonal. I know Flylady said this was too complicated but for me, it works better than lists. I can shuffle and sort -- I think I'm a kinesthetic thinker in that way.

So this below is the list form of my green index cards. Here are my zones:

ZONE 1: Entrance, Front Porch and Back Porch, Garage and Kitchen
ZONE 2: Bathrooms and Hall Closets
ZONE 3: Bedrooms -- Kids and Master
ZONE 4: Living Room and Loft, Dining Room
ZONE 5: Personal -- Kids Health and medical, Family Matters

Thursday is also the day to collect trash from around the house.
Monthly Jobs are done during this day, and I also pick 1 or 2 Seasonal Jobs each time.

Monthly Jobs:

Zone 1: Clean entrance, kitchen, front and back porch, garage, coat closet

  • Wax kitchen floor
  • Clean oven
  • Wipe door frames: garage, Frodo's room, porch door
  • Wash entrance walls
  • Bathe dog
  • Wipe/wash shoes and boots
Zone 2: Clean Bathrooms and Hall Closets and Laundry Room
  • Clean and organize cupboards and drawers
  • Clean, polish tile
  • Clean shower stall
  • Wash shower curtain
  • Wash scatter rugs
  • Wipe walls
  • Scour toilets with bleach, toothbrush etc
  • Dust pictures
  • Wash bathroom glasses, organize counter/shelf-top
Zone 3: Clean Kids' Bedrooms and Master Bedroom

  • Clean under beds
  • Dust picture frames
  • Clean closets and organize
  • Dust cobwebs
  • Wipe furniture
  • Wash bedding
  • Clean windows and frames
  • Vacuum thoroughly
Zone 4: Clean living room, dining room and loft

  • Spray/wash trash cans from all over house
  • Mop upstairs floor
  • Vacuum with hose upstairs
  • Dust ledges
  • Vacuum under cushions
  • Clean windows
  • Wash, straighten ornaments
  • Dust picture frames
  • Clean cobwebs, dust fans
  • Dust lamp shades
  • Move furniture and vacuum under
  • Vacuum books
  • Wipe small electronics, and other surfaces
Zone 5: Take Care of Personal Stuff
  • Haircuts
  • Order Aidan's meds
  • Bookkeeping, pay bills,
  • give Clare clothing allowance
  • Allocate other expenses
  • Check next month's dates: Saints Days and app'ts
  • Special dinner: Eg Candlelight
  • Weigh and measure kids
  • Load 5 boxes of giveaways and take to Goodwill on next trip to town
  • Write article
  • Family council

No comments: