Sunday, June 11, 2006

Medical Play

Aidan was pretending to put a bandage on his daddy, Kevin, today. I walked in and heard him talking:

  • Lie down. OK, you can take the bandage off.
  • I need to wipe off that bit of nacho.
  • Now we need to put on your Desitracin and some infection.
  • It’s OK….. can you hold the bandage on while I get some tape?
  • I’ll put on the tape.
  • All done!
  • I think it’s getting better. Does that feel OK?

His voice was gentle and encouraging. A lot of the words were verbatim from what we say to him when we’re putting on a new dressing. We have to change his bandage several times a day and it is difficult for him because it is painful. I am so thankful that through the pain, he must hear that we mean him well and that we are trying to let him be in charge of the experience as much as possible, and that we are doing all to aid him, not hurt him.

He really is a great little boy!

Aidan and Kieron

No comments: