Thursday, July 27, 2006

Caelum et Terra

In Crunchy Cons, I came across a mention of someone called Maclin Horton. I liked the way he wrote, so I looked up the now defunct magazine that Rod Dreher mentioned in the book, called Caelum et Terra. It turns out the magazine has morphed into a blog. One of the contributors is Regina Doman. I do not know her beyond in the "friend of a friend of a friend" line, but have loved her writing for years and have grieved for her loss and said many prayers for her family.

Speaking of Crunchy Cons, Gilbert Meilander of First Things liked it less than I did. Here's a discussion of some of the issues that have been raised which have not even been on my radar screen up till now. The New Pantagruel is another one of the magazines mentioned in the book. I will reserve my own opinions about the book for another time, since I just finished reading it last night, but these connections alone made it worth the reading even if the rest had been junk, which it wasn't..... just a bit frustrating, sometimes.

Other References:
Acton Institute, a website I discovered when looking for high school reading for my oldest several years back.
Russell Kirk -- another FoFoF connection whose writing I have been much influenced by through the years-- and my son's godparents live in Michigan near the Kirk Center and their daughter works there on and off.

There is enough reading and thinking there to last for a long time! Caelum et terra, indeed.... and the sanctorum communionem which the internet makes so vividly real (Liam and I have been saying the Rosary in Latin; I love those beautiful and thought-provoking phrases)

Now I'm reading Letters to a Young Catholic. The author, George Weigel, mentions another long-time favorite of mine, Flannery O'Connor -- the very first chapter of his book is called The Habit of Being, in direct reference to her writing. I know from reading one of her letter anthologies that she met Russell Kirk once. Wow, and here's a blog If Flannery Had a Blog devoted to writings "by and about her" which looks a bit like Amy's blog devoted to Charlotte Mason's writing: A Full Life

Finally, I heard about Flannery O'Connor first in a college class called CS Lewis and Friends (here's a daily CS Lewis reading blog) which is also where I first heard about GK Chesterton (here's a "what if GKC had a blog" blog of daily GKC quotes). Thinking about it, I suppose that class was directly instrumental in my conversion. Which brings me back full circle, I suppose, so I'll stop here, though I am sure I could keep going.

1 comment:

Cay Gibson said...

Willa,
I read "Letters to a Young Catholic" a couple months ago and loved it. Bought it for a Catholic graduate friend as well.

Terrific read. :)

Also, Nancy Brown has a Chesterton blog as well. Let me know if you need the link.