Monday, January 29, 2007

Ireland

This list is compiled with the help of the Real Learning community; I'm putting an * next to the resources we already have. The others I have not read or seen or listened to, yet. OH! And if you read this and see something missing, please comment!

Books
Cottage at Bantry Bay * and sequels*
Red Hugh: Prince of Donegal *
Beorn the Proud*
Secret of Ron Mor Skerry by Rosalie Fry
Under the Hawthorn Tree (about the Potato Famine, part of a trilogy)
Nory Ryan's Song and Maggie's Door by Patricia Reilly Giff (about the Potato Famine, HT JoVE)
Twist of Gold by Michael Morpungo, also about the Potato Famine (haven't read it, but saw it at Amazon when looking for the previous two -- and we have another book by the author which we like)
Darby O'Gill and the Little People
Darby O'Gill and the Crocks Of Gold
Some Experiences of an Irish RM (there is also a BBC series)
Magic Summer by Noel Streatfield
The Heritage by Frances Parkinson Keyes

Tales, Saints Stories, Legends


Fin McCoul by Tomie de Paola
The Sailor Who Captured the Sea (ties in to Book of Kells)
Jamie O'Rourke and the Pooka
Jamie O'Rourke and the Big Potato

saints stories:
Brigid's Cloak
The Man Who Loved Books by Jean Fritz about St Columba
Brendan the Navigator by Jean Fritz*
St Brendan and the Voyage Before Columbus
Celtic Heritage Saints*





Celtic Fairy Tales
Irish Legends for Children
Favorite Celtic Fairy Tales
King of Ireland's Son * by Padraic Colum








Movies

Darby O'Gill and the Little People
The Quiet Man*
Secret of Roan Inish*
Into the West*






Movies that are possibly more suitable for older kids or adults (I personally haven't seen any of these)

My Left Foot
Local Hero
In the Name of the Father
Michael Collins
Waking Ned Divine


History/Non-Fiction


How the Irish Saved Civilization (teen and up)
Real Lace
Angela's Ashes and 'Tis by Frank McCourt. I read the first one. Too raw for kids even teens but certainly memorable.

The following book is for children:

History of Ireland *





Music

Faith of our Fathers
(here is a DVD version)
So Early in the Morning Clancy Children
Clannad Chieftains*
Clancy Brothers*
Kilkelly* by Mick Malone and Robbie O'Connell (who is a nephew of the Clancys)
Anthony DeLallo, * a very talented young Catholic homeschooler, has a CD of Irish songs called A Wee Bit of Ireland (HT to my friend Chari -- he is her priest's nephew!)

Internet Visits (& Geography)


Skellig Islands
Giant's Causeway

Brendan Voyage*







Art


Color your Own Book of Kells
Book of Kells: Selected Plates in Full Color
Celtic Design: Knotwork




Rabbit Trails

Tree Heritage: A Guide to the Famous Trees of Britain and Ireland
(for my amateur dendrologist)
Favourite Medieval Tales(by Mary Pope Osborne -- includes a story about Finn MacCoul)
Dublin: Eyewitness
KC Irish Fest!
CS Lewis's Irish heritage
Irish Literature at the NewAdvent Catholic Encyclopedia
Wee Irish Folk (listmania)


Irish Poems, Poets and Ballads


Fields of Athenry*
Grace*
WB Yeats: Easter 1916 and The Second Coming
The Stolen Child --my daughter wrote a story based on the poem.
Irish Fairy and Folk Tales ed by WB Yeats*
Anthology of Irish Verse ed by Padraic Colum
Seamus Heaney is Irish -- we have the CD version of his Beowulf*


6 comments:

momof3feistykids said...

This looks amazing! Sarah and I did a short unit on Ireland a few years ago. We read some of the shorter books, including legends and Saints stories, on your list - they were all good. We also read a book by Kathryn Lasky about the Irish female pirate (I can't think of her name).

You've given me several ideas for things to add our general "reading list." :-)

I've seen My Left Foot, In the Name of the Father, and Waking Ned Devine. My Left Foot was excellent (actually, Sarah might like it soon - especially to see how he adpated to his disability). The depiction of the family's poverty was pretty grim (but realistic). I believe the father was an alcoholic, too. (Again, sad but "real.") I loved In the Name of the Father, too, though I found it really disturbing (even my husband wouldn't watch it *LOL*) It really does help understand the plight of the Irish under English control. I don't remember Ned Devine very well.

Thank you for your wonderful e-mail this morning! I want to re-read it when I have more time to think. Thank you again. :-)

love2learnmom said...

Neat list!

In the Name of the Father was REALLY harsh. There were some beautiful elements to it, but it was also frustrating to me that a key aspect of the legal trial at the center of the story was significantly altered for the movie. I blogged about this movie awhile back if you'd like details.

We really enjoyed Rick Steve's Ireland DVD (three or four episodes on a DVD).

The Bookworm said...

Willa, I like Michael Morpurgo - he has written a number of good books on unusual topics - though I haven't read the one you list. A couple of other books you could add are The High Deeds of Finn Maccool by Rosemary Sutcliff and Knights of God by Patricia Lynch (stories of Irish saints).

Hen Jen said...

wow, what a great list! My husband and I went to Dublin this past fall, and we want to return, see the rest of the Island and take the kids. We will have to dive into some of these resources you listed before we go. "how the Irish saved civilization" was a great read, and I learned much I must have missed in school. I just read a good novel called "blessed are the cheesmakers", which I loved. But it is an adult book, rated R, parts of it. We got to see the book of Kells, it was so amazing.
thanks for sharing this!

The Beynons said...

Hi.
Looks like a great list.
One book we enjoyed that is not totally Irish but still great is Tristan and Iseult by Sutcliff. Some iffy material but an awesome read for myself and my 9 and 11 year olds. (Not to be confused with the much poorer taste Hollywood flick).

Great Blog
Kristie up in cold Winnipeg Canada

Charlotte (WaltzingM) said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I love lists like this. I always blank when I get to the library or movie store. Now I can print out your awesome list to take with me!