Friday, April 13, 2007

Listening to the Music


Spunky came back to the blogosphere briefly to write the most touching comment I have read about the news story Pearls Before Breakfast:

When I was blogging, in my busyness, I was beginning to miss the "music" that was all around me. I am hearing it once again AND I have the time to stop and listen. It isn't Joshua Bell, but my own children playing their instruments, singing while on a swing, or the "music" of the mixing bowls clanging as we bake bread together. It's all music and I don't want to miss another note.


What is your home's music? Do you stop once in a while to hear it?

If I listen I can hear teens discussing movies, a daughter who is learning how to play the organ, an 11 year old son sharing the comics he is drawing on the computer with me. I can hear ideals expressed in the offhand language of a 14 year old, and spiritual and career aspirations from an 18 year old. I can hear jokes that only our family could think up, or think amusing. I can hear stories, and soundtracks, and the flying feet of a 17 year old dancing with a 4 year old. I can hear my domestic church's bells.

There is a blog out there called Holy Experience of Listening. Just the title takes my breath away and makes my heart get a little more still.

Lord, help me to listen to my home's music and not hurry on by in my busy-ness!

4 comments:

momof3feistykids said...

Lovely post! :-)

http://steph-roomofmyown.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Oh, Willa, thank you so much for sharing this. Off to listen...

Karen Edmisten said...

Perfect observation ... thanks for sharing it.

Margaret in Minnesota said...

I came here via Donna and must thank you for the reminder. The words of this post will be a part of the "music" of my day today.