Monday, June 04, 2007

Thrift Store Finds

There is a Carnival of Everyday Summer Skirts and Dresses over at Gladdest Hours.

I didn't get a chance to get someone to take a picture of me for it but my daughter and I went to a thrift store the other day and I got 2 nice skirts and 3 tops:


I love the colors. Now, with my last thrift store finds, I'm all set for summer and fall.

My daughter got four tops. All in near-new condition, good labels; the price tag for all of it was under $30, even though they charged me $5 for the denim skirt.

I also bought these clogs, new. They were $20. Don't tell me if you think they look dorky; I love them. I have loved clogs since I went to high school in Switzerland where everyone wore them, even the boys, and then spending months at the hospital where everyone wore them, including the men. And these ones even have linings. My feet are always cold!

I almost didn't buy them because 20$ is more than I've ever spent for shoes for myself since my college years. I felt so guilty! But I could not resist, and REALITY CHECK -- 20 dollars is not THAT bad a price tag. I think they will last a bit longer than the $12 shoes I bought a couple of years ago. Those ones, I now use for gardening and housekeeping type work since they got pretty stained over time.


I didn't realize they had 1-inch lifts until I put them on and suddenly became taller. In our family, all the teens and adults are close to the same size -- the females are 5 '8" and the males are between 5'10" and 6'0" once they get their full height. My daughter felt unusually short in her stocking feet yesterday : ).

For my next Thursday Thrift, I will try to talk about something else besides CLOTHES.

(By the way, a lot of sites recommend rewarding yourself for successful weight loss with something *besides food*. Buying a new or recycled-new outfit might be one way of providing incentive for success. Also, donating the money you saved on food might be another incentive. I'm trying to think of other incentives -- any ideas? I also DO start letting up on the food restrictions as I get more into good habits. This time I cut out sweets and simple carbs and even fruits at the beginning, but then started letting them in one at a time as I progressed. That's not rewarding myself with food, but thinking ahead to maintenance -- or so I will say).

No comments: