Monday, November 12, 2007

Term Examinations in the Homeschool

(This is an article I wrote several years back and since we are doing some examinations this term -- see here for first day) -- I thought it might be a good time to post it. Also, Day Two is up here and the gif versions are here)

Whether Term Exams Can Be of Value in the Homeschool

When I first started homeschooling I gathered the impression that regular examinations were of little value in a homeschool. Among the points I read or heard were the fact that a homeschool mom can keep track of a child's progress as a teacher of a class cannot, so testing is unnecessary; that students tend to study hard for an exam and then forget the material quickly afterwards, so testing is ineffective; that test results don't always reflect how capable the child actually is and how well he knows the material, so testing is inaccurate.

All these things are partially true, but incomplete. It is true that a mom can assess her child's progress informally simply by discussing concepts or seeing how the child does in a subject. But while this kind of assessment is important and a wonderful advantage of the homeschool, it does not serve the same purpose as an exam. An exam takes a wider view and invites the child to display long term retention of ideas and apply them. It trains memory, a sense of discrimination between what is high priority and what is less so, and the ability to use language thoughtfully rather than just parrot the textbook. Lots of students can catch on to a math or grammar concept quickly and apply the learning to an exercise with great success, but then forget it almost immediately if it is not reviewed. Other children catch on more slowly, but retain the information better. Regular tests and exams give each kind of child a chance to show long-term acquirements rather than just quickness or lack of it.

The second point, that exams are an encouragement only to "cram" for a couple of days and then forget the material promptly when the test is over, might be true in some cases but ought not to be the case in a homeschool. In fact, this criticism points to one of the main positive benefits of regular examinations. Examinations are an incentive to the "self-activity" and mastery that are so essential a part of the Ignatian education. When a student is working well in a subject, he should be reviewing continually during the term by studying vocabulary words, thinking about what he is reading, making connections between one area and another, and applying his understanding. If he is doing this, pre-exam review and study should be a consolidation of what he has learned, not a quick strenuous effort to patch up the lacks in his study up till then.

So the fact that regular exams are part of the curriculum makes the student accountable. If I, the teacher, do too much teaching and helping and don’t specifically teach study habits, and the children don't do enough work on their own to internalize what they are learning, this fault tends to show up on examinations. Exams make "study skills" an immediate and practical necessity. A younger child can do oral presentations and recitations during the term, or make visual displays in the form of captioned posters or little illustrated books; an older student, in addition to those things, can also learn to take notes, to make vocabulary cards, to recite quietly or into a tape-recorder in order to really learn material thoroughly. The responsibility for guiding and teaching independent study belongs to the homeschool teacher, but the actual responsibility for making the mental effort belongs to the student.

The third point, that some children don't test well, is also partly true but in a homeschool can be addressed directly according to the reasons for the under-performance. Some children get nervous and stressed in a test situation. Frequent practice by short quizzes, trial runs plus a low-key, supportive environment will probably help over time. Some children have fine motor problems and can't write quickly or fluently. It is possible that these children could test orally or using a word processor, and then work on their fine motor skills over the next term or year. Some children have short attention spans or a habit of guessing wildly. They can be given breaks in between tests or parts of tests, for them to get some exercise or for the mother to make sure that they aren't getting too far off track on their answers merely to "have it over with". All these problems are quite natural for children to have, but they can all be minimized and compensated for, and remedying this kind of difficulty will keep it from becoming a handicap to the child’s academic success in later years.

Finally, in a homeschool, review and exam weeks can be a nice change of pace and a way to clearly see progress as well as discern areas that need to be worked on in the future. I keep an observation log detailing what I notice about my children's learning habits, making the kind of informal assessment I mentioned at the beginning of this article. I also keep a list for brainstorming ideas for changes to make in the future. This is also a good time to fine-tune and rethink the daily schedule, the chore system, or make plans for activities the toddlers can do during school hours. I usually get a little more time to spend organizing the house during these two weeks too.

I hope all this doesn't give you the idea that examinations in a homeschool have to be intense or stressful. If they are prepared for, and modified to the family and students' situation, they should be a challenging but basically positive experience, giving everyone a chance to display what they have learned, and vary the routine of the school year. You could plan a short break from school, a field trip or some kind of celebration to mark the finish to the past term and the prospect of a fresh start in the new one.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting those thoughts. You've made some good points. To add to them, I would also say that the value of exams depends on how they are designed. Too often in institutional situations, the cart ends up leading the horse, in that what is on the exam is what is easy to test (and with large groups this sometimes means choosing some types of questions because they are easier to mark) and the teaching is geared to doing well on exams (especially where exam results are use to "grade" the school itself).

I find it much more helpful to think in terms of "assessment" and then to tailor the assessment to the learning objectives we are trying to test. Is it recall of information? Or an ability to select appropriate information and make an argument in response to a question? Or something else? The form of the examination should fit with the skill or knowledge you are trying to assess mastery of.

And if children (or students in an institutional learning environment) can see that the form of the examination fits the learning objectives, they should be much less resistant to it.

Unfortunately, schools tend to train children to think that examinations are arbitrary and largely a hoop jumping exercise that has little to do with what they have actually learned. I found, when I was teaching university, that I had to really convince students that I was interested in them learning something and had designed assessments to determine what they had learned so that those who learned a lot got better grades. They were highly suspicious. The greatest compliment I ever received was from a student who took a second class with me saying that although she knew it would be hard work, she also knew she would learn a lot.

I'll have to think more about examination in the home school.

Melanie Bettinelli said...

I know when I was in college one of my professors explained that exams were not just opportunities for assessment of what had been learned but were in themselves learning experiences. The essay exam in particular is a moment in which the student can practice the crucial skill of synthesis, pulling together seemingly disparate and unconnected bits of information and seeing how they form a coherent whole.

I know some of my most exciting moments in my university experience were during exams. Moments when suddenly everything "clicked" and I had a great insight, moments when I amazed myself with my mastery of a subject that until that point had seemed to slip out of my grasp.

I recall especially when I finished a major oral exam and realized that I had actually helped my professors see elements of the poems we were discussing that they had not seen before. What a moment to realize that I was more of an expert on aspects of my exam topic than any of my teachers.

Willa said...

Your comments are giving me things to think about. I went to a British-type high school (in Switzerland; father was working for the WHO at the time).

I didn't like the *attitude* there towards exams. "Do we have to know this for the exam?"

However, I did rather like the exams themselves. Challenging, yes, but gave me a chance to focus on the big picture, that we didn't always get during the day to day work of the term.

I think that in the exams I gave my 11 year old, I was mostly looking for this "big picture" effect -- letting him take the wide, less detailed view and reflect a bit on what he'd learned in the past few months. That seemed to work well, for him.

Anonymous said...

I've come back to read the comments and your comment about the British view of exams (and that contradictory sense of the exam being quite helpful but not liking the "do we need to know this") made me think of the movie of Alan Bennet's The History Boys. I rented it just before we left on our trip and really enjoyed it. The conflict between liberal and instrumental education seems to be right at the heart of it.