Sunday, November 25, 2007

What You'd Do Differently

At the Real Learning board, a mom with young children asked what older homeschooling moms would do differently if they could it over again.

Really, I have few categorical regrets about what I did or did not do. Yes, I made plenty of mistakes — but mistakes can be fruitful. I learned something from every mistake. Yes, I sinned plenty of times, and sincerely hope to do better in the future, but that is not something that I would “do differently” in that sense. Those are waters under the bridge.

The only thing I sometimes regret is that I did not educate myself more before my kids were born and when they were little. I wish I’d read more of what I planned to have them read. Even now, every iota of liberal arts education I possess is of great value. My father paid a pretty penny for my college education, but it was worth it, even though I never got a job in my English literature major. It really was, Dad. I only wish I’d treasured it more at the time. So was every second of reading I’ve done just prior to, or alongside of, or just after, my kids. My mother read to me and bought me classic books, and I’m glad every single day that I can remember reading Treasure Island and Robin Hood and Anne of Green Gables and Heidi when I was still little.

This all pays off every single time I talk to my kids or read to them or think about their education.

What would you have done differently, if anything?