Friday, December 07, 2007

The first, faint whisper of the wind from beyond the world

I went looking for a quote by CS Lewis about the value of rereading. Didn't come up with it in a google search, but I did find this blog Iambic Admonit which led me to this other favorite CS Lewis quote -- this is from a letter Lewis wrote to a friend, not long after he converted, I gather:

“ I think the thrill of the pagan stories and of romance may be due to the fact that they are mere beginnings―the first, faint whisper of the wind from beyond the world―while Christianity is the thing itself: and no thing, when you have really started on it, can have for you then and there just the same thrill as the first hint. For example, the experience of being married and bringing up a family, cannot have the old bittersweet for first falling in love. But it is futile (and, I think wicked) to go on trying to get the old thrill again: you must go forward and not backward. . . . Delight is a bell that rings as you set your foot on the first step of a new flight of stairs leading upwards. Once you have started climbing you will notice only the hard work: it is when you have reached the landing and catch sight of the new stair that you may expect the bell again.”

".....the first, faint whisper of the wind from beyond the world." I think that stands in for Poetry Friday for today, don't you?

2 comments:

Theresa said...

Wow! Fantastic!

Anonymous said...

I love that one. Oddly enough, I had picked up Mere Christianity a few weeks ago and have been re-reading it.

Ron @ AH.net