Monday, January 28, 2008

Monday List

Some days, you feel like you haven't gotten much done but when you look over your list it's actually quite a lot.

Here is my house list for the week with overstrikes for what I did (this doesn't count the ordinary daily and weekly routine – the kids rotate through the basic weekly jobs)

House List for the Week

  • Clean bathroom floor
  • Wipe floor upstairs
  • Clean stairs
  • Shovel snow on deck
  • Kids shovel snow on deck
  • Straighten and vacuum closet
  • Straighten things under bed
  • Tidy/weed out my clothes
  • Tidy Paddy's book boxes
  • Think about what to put on shelves in closet
  • Do an inventory of the craft closet OR try to consolidate things in my closet
  • Make grocery list
  • Look for a new recipe to try
  • Dust floor beside stairs
  • Clean bannisters
  • Put all my customary recipes in print form
  • Clean refrigerator
  • Straighten top of bathroom cabinet
  • Vacuum and tidy downstairs
  • Box of things to put away, things to give away
  • Occupational Therapy (cancelled because of snow but did phone consult)
  • Market, PO, Library
  • Supervise Weeklies
  • Sweep hearth, dump ash bucket
  • Change Sheets and Towels, wash them
  • Catch up on office tasks
  • Make phone calls
  • Vacuumed under and in couch and straightened it up
  • Clean toaster & other small appliances
  • Shampoo carpets (on one floor)
  • Clean microwave
  • Wash kitchen floor carefully (the kids give it a mopping twice a week but it can use a scouring occasionally)
  • Turn mattresses
  • Clean under beds

    Hey, that's not too bad! I like to try to make good inroads on Monday so that when life inevitably takes over during the rest of the week it is still manageable.

Homeschooling List for Monday

(for this, I tried to write out our routine for the day and peg in a few extra things that I'd like to get to sometime this week – then when I do my week in review I can easily see what fell through this week and what didn't)

  • Sean comes down and does Greek and Vocabulary on his own.
  • Then he reads in various subjects. (he read Family that Overtook Christ, and Plutarch on Cicero) Something I'd like to do here is have a log for him to write down what he did.
  • Then we do math – here I would like to start with a prayer. He started chapter 9 and I told him about the proposed lesson flow – he actually got a lot done pretty accurately. I think it helped that I went over the problems with him beforehand.
  • At this point discuss readings with him, writing notes. Find out any weak areas and assign separate work. (he is very vague on narration – I think I need to preview his work and have something to discuss with him)
  • Latin – Quia.
  • Then I'll pull Kieron in to do Latin with us. The MP idea is to take a question or two from each set, starting back from the beginning.
    If we run into a rough spot, I should base the review and reinforcement from that. Neither of them remembered direct object sentence structure so we dwelt on that – I had them drill accusative forms of all the vocabulary nouns, and also some verbal translations.
  • (I am thinking of putting Logic in here in future, and having them do it together, but we'll see).
  • Work on progymnasmata and related language arts.
  • Kieron can do Quia at this point.
  • I'll have him look through the SWR phonograms now and then practice writing the first letters – the 2 o'clock ones.
  • Sean can put the Christian Culture cards in order.
  • Perhaps this is a good time to try having a group prayer.
  • Then Sean can go do his weekly chores
  • Work with Kieron on math.
    On this day, math is a focus – I'm going to try to teach the ideas for the week, and then go from there to assign problems based on that for the rest of the week. We did powers of ten but actually didn't get to multiplying decimals so will do that tomorrow then practice the rest of the week. Also, we did math before we got to spelling.
  • Spell with Kieron. Just the phonograms
  • Then discuss religion, and read aloud history, and assign follow- up work. I am going to show him the Decalogue page, and put it in his notebook. (we didn't do this today – he was impatient and I was tired after helping Clare with Chemistry plus shoveling the deck for a while)
  • Read to him aloud while he colors or works with beeswax.
  • Then on normal days I can assign a science and literature reading, but I think on this day I will dismiss him to go do his weeklies.
  • Strew things for the little ones (quiz game, wooden blocks, playdough)
  • In addition, I went over phonograms with Aidan and had him write C's, bribing him with butterscotch chips. He has trouble with the start but was able to accomplish the rest pretty well so perhaps it would be good to print out some tracing ones.

I also went for 6 miles on my exercycle.

I probably ought to go shovel a bit more. We got a couple of feet of snow this weekend and it slides off our metal roof and piles on our deck in massive quantities. We call it "The Glacier".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Willa you got a lot done! I was patting myself on the back for washing my sheets and tidying the living room! And I didn't do near the amount of focused schoolwork with my kids.

I think you should sleep well tonight!

Blessings,

Faith

Anonymous said...

"Think about what to put on shelves in closet"

I like how just thinking about it is on the list. Seems more manageable to think about it than to actually move a bunch of stuff.