Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Mosaic -- Movies and Miscellany

I never would have known if my kids hadn't discovered the plot similarities that the Pokemon episode Showdown at Dark City is a version of the Akira Kurosawa movie Yojimbo.

Did you know that A Bug's Life is a version of Kurosawa's Seven Samurai, and that the Magnificent Seven is as well?

Speaking of Pokemon, the Sci-Fi Catholic says that Pokemon is banned in Saudi Arabia.

Aidan would not like that.

When I was looking up the Holy Grail a while ago, I found this blog called the Grail Code. It looks like a book blog, and I just liked it's "everything to do with the Holy Grail" theme.... from beer presented to Pope Benedict, to Arthurian-cycle art.

Finally, my inner English Lit major responded to the call of "It's Chaucer Week" at Red Sea Homeschool. Even though it's not the first week of April anymore, it seems that it would be really fun to go on a Chaucer study with my 12 year old since we are in the throes of medieval history right now.

Whan that April with his showres soote
The droughte of March hath perced to the roote,
And bathed every veine in swich licour,
Of which vertu engendred is the flowr...
There is a Chaucer Storybook at Baldwin Project.

And Clare, if you are reading this, I found the Parson's Tale online.

3 comments:

Clare said...

*blink blink* I never noticed the similarities between Yojimbo and that particular Pokemon episode. How fun!

Another comedic version of The Magnificent Seven is the Three Amigos movie. I ought to check it from the library sometime, as it looks quite funny... and Elmer Bernstein did the music!! He must have had such fun.

And thank you so much for The Parson's Tale! Just skimming through it, I get the impression that I'm going to be on Liam's side, and enjoy it.

Willa said...

Yes, Kieron and Brendan both noticed it independently of each other. You probably haven't seen that episode as often as they have ;-).

I am going to skim the P's T as well. I want to know what all the discussion was about.

D. G. D. Davidson said...

You may wish to know that Battle Beyond the Stars, a b-movie classic, is also a version of Seven Samurai. So was Seven Swords, I suppose, in a way, but that was long and hard to watch.