Monday, May 12, 2008

Simplifying

I am trying to make some real progress in simplifying in our house. For several reasons -- but mainly, because as we wind down the school year I ALWAYS look around and wonder how we lived so long in such clutter.

So I've decided to break the house down into sectors -- a bit like Flylady's zones, but smaller, and attack one area at a time.

Downstairs:

  • Laundry Room
  • Bathroom
  • Hall Closet 1
  • Hall Closet 2
  • Bookshelves in Hall
  • Coat Closet
  • Entryway
  • Bookshelves in great room
  • Kitchen entryway
  • Kitchen
  • Pantry

Outside

  • Porch
  • Deck
  • Garage
  • Perimeter
  • Car

Upstairs

  • Master Bedroom
  • Bathroom
  • Closet
  • Middle area of loft
  • Back of loft
  • Center of Loft

My plan is to cycle through once a month (the outdoors areas are separate from this -- I'm just putting them in for the sake of completeness, but the whole family will probably get more involved in those areas). There are 18 interior areas (not counting my kids' rooms and my husband's office, which I won't deal with right now).

The Plan of Action :

  1. Weed out 10-20% of things (throw away or give away)
  2. Tidy and organize what's left
  3. Inventory
  4. Plan (list improvements, repairs, remainder list for next time around)
  5. Wipe and clean
So there it is, for now -- putting it on the blog so I will be somewhat accountable (also, so I will know where to find the list again when I need it!)

No comments: