Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Lemon Bread



Lemon Bread


2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter (1 1/2 sticks)
3 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup lemon juice
4 eggs
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Cream together sugar and shortening. Beat in eggs. Stir dry ingredients together and add to egg mixture alternately with milk. Stir in nuts. Pour into 2 greased loaf pans. Sprinkle white sugar on top, and bake for 45 minutes.

This is a variation on a recipe I found in a Quick Breads e-book (PDF) from the Creative Homemaking download site. Most of the quick breads I've made from this book have been popular with my family.

(While I was revising this I suddenly realized I put in twice as much liquid as I should have -- no wonder the batter turned out so runny. However, it baked pretty nicely -- I don't know what it tastes like yet, but Liam tried some and is still walking around : ) Oh, and Kieron just came and said he had some and it was OK, so if you want to experiment....).

2 comments:

MacBeth Derham said...

Thanks for posting this. Trip loves lemony things, and especially breads. I also enjoyed reading the post on back to school (mild) resistance. Got it here, too.

lissla lissar said...

Do you read Pleasantview Schoolhouse? There's a coffee cake recipe that I've been making endlessly. Have I mentioned it before? Anyway, here's the link. It's really easy, relatively healthy, and delicious.

http://pleasantviewschoolhouse.blogspot.com/2007/02/schoolhouse-coffee-cake.html