Friday, January 02, 2009

Sierra Minutiae

My brother-in-law made a drink called Atholl Brose and handed it out in bottles to the family clan. It's pretty good, at least I think so, at least the slightly-over-half of me that is Scottish. I think it's a bit like mead.

You make it like this (at least the individual portions -- he must have multiplied it):

Ingredients:

  • 3 rounded tablespoons of medium oatmeal
  • 2 tablespoons heather honey
  • Scotch whisky

Method:
The oatmeal is prepared by putting it into a basin and mixing with cold water until the consistency is that of a thick paste. Leave for half an hour and then put through a fine strainer, pressing with a wooden spoon to extract as much liquid as possible. Throw away the oatmeal and use the creamy liquor from the oatmeal for the brose.

Mix four dessert spoonfuls of pure honey and four sherry glassfuls of the prepared oatmeal and stir well. (Purists insist on a silver spoon for stirring!) Put into a quart bottle and fill with malt whisky; shake before serving.

Ha ha, now where is my claymore?


Clare did a Pygmalion photo shoot today, with Liam; Kieron took most of the pictures, I took some; they are here. We had a lot of fun. I took this photo of Clare uploading photos; it turned out soft focus because of the light, but I thought it was cute -- the basket, the old-fashioned flower girl clothes, and the laptop.

I wish there more than just two more proper days of the holiday -- on Monday, Sean goes back to school, and though Liam has one more week, he has to start buckling down to get things done before he takes the train ride back.

(sigh)

I am learning Flash.... using this ActionScript 3.0 Game Programmer's University -- and I finished my first lesson today. Fun!

I did the first day of my January Challenge -- and did all right, not great. It will be easier when the candy and honey oatmeal liquors are gone.

Kevin and the teenagers have been watching Errol Flynn movies the past few days -- Captain Blood and The Sea Hawk.

Did I say that I wish there were more days of holiday left? Christmas isn't officially over until Epiphany. But maybe Paddy will be better off with less screen time and sugar so readily available.

Remember that you are a human being with a soul and the divine gift of articulate speech: that your native language is the language of Shakespeare and Milton and the Bible; and don't sit there crooning like a bilious pigeon. -- Henry Higgins.

No comments: