Monday, January 26, 2009

Sierra Highlights #10

My Occasional Daybook

Weather:

The rain turned to snow... only about 4 inches though... manageable!

Watching:

Toy Story II. One of Aidan's nurses, who was from China, used to sing "When Somebody Loved Me" in the sweetest voice to him while she assessed him at the beginning of her night shift ---it soothed Aidan AND me : ). Clare can play it on the piano. I think the video montage got to Paddy, though; he's never watched it before.

From the Library:

Found on the Dime Rack: Lovey by Mary McCracken, The Story of Ferdinand, Renascence and Other Poems (by Edna St Vincent Millay), and a book by Avi -- don't remember the name. I'm reading Lovey now. I read her book Dibs: In Search of Self when I was babysitting the little boys of a couple who were both psychiatrists. And a year or two ago I read her book called City Kid. She seems like quite a great teacher.

Checked out: The Great Gatsby (Clare) and of course Toy Story II.

Strange Things Heard in the Car:

Get your noble head away from me!
(said by Sean to Aidan).

Strange Things Heard Elsewhere:

Everyone in the family seems to be putting their own words to "Beware of the Blob"
Did you know that was Steve McQueen's first movie? My husband has been on a Steve McQueen netflix trail. But enough said on that.

Hearing:

Kids laughing. So nice when an 18 year old, a 13 year old, a 9 year old and a 6 year old all laugh together about the same thing.

Smelling:

Freshly ground and brewed coffee. I just made some.

Re-Discovered Delight:

Tea! Kevin bought some Double Bergamot Earl Grey . I've gotten in the habit of drinking it in the evening.

Squirrel Tally:

We're up to five released into the wild,well away from our house.

Seeing:

Another little Douglas Squirrel running along the outside log towards the interior of our ceiling!! So a few more to go!

Something I need to do today:

Vacuum!

Here are some formats for weekly thought-collectors that I really like:

Kimberly at Catholic Family Vignettes: A Busy Mom's Weekly Reflections
Amy at Epiphany Springs: Think About These Things Thursday

A Photo Thought:

My dad's new dog. He's a 10 year old German Shepherd, but my dad suspects he's part wolf. You don't think???? But isn't he the coolest dog that ever loped down a carpeted hall? I probably won't get to see him IRL for a couple of months yet, since my parents live outside of Anchorage! But my dad says he's a great dog and is getting used to his new home.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The dog is very cool!

And I love Steve McQueen. Has your dh watched The Sand Pebble yet?

Blessings,

Faith

Amy said...

Wow, that dog really does look like a wolf. He's beautiful.

Thanks for reminding me of my own meme, LOL, I couldn't finish in time last week and am already out of the habit!

Anonymous said...

That is a beautiful song, I'm going to have to find the lyrics...

Great pic of the dog. I'm not going to weigh in on the "Is he part-wolf" debate. My guess is German Shepard crossed with Malamute or Husky and maybe Akita. His expression certainly is wolf-like!

Of course, I'm probably wrong, I'm always terrible at guessing breeds.

Katie said...

I'm interested in hearing how you like _Lovey_. I read it as a teen, and still ponder the thoughtful way she related to her students.

Willa said...

Katie, short answer: I really loved reading Lovey. Mary McCracken, the teacher, had a real gift; I wish I had it. I've enjoyed all her books and the way she respects the children as they are and at the same time sees their potential,what they could become.