Monday, February 16, 2009

California Landscapes

Central California, the I-5, early on a Sunday morning. What more can I say? I love California, though as a transplanted Alaskan I never thought I would be able to say that. I even love its flat, endless yellow spaces and that hard blue sky like a bowl, though I miss my Alaskan mountain ranges and cloud patterns.

We've been on this road many times before. The wind, though, and the snow on the Grapevine, made it unusual (sorry, not very good pics; taken from the window of the car).




See that tumbleweed in the third picture? A whole bunch of them rolled across the road in intervals. Kevin said it was like a video game, trying to avoid them.

This is what the view from my window looked like a few days ago. .... before this most recent blizzard. I'll take another picture in a few days. Right now the whole world is white out there.

Everything is flowing— going somewhere, animals and so-called lifeless rocks as well as water. Thus the snow flows fast or slow in grand beauty-making glaciers and avalanches; the air in majestic floods carrying minerals, plant leaves, seeds, spores, with streams of music and fragrance; water streams carrying rocks... John Muir

1 comment:

Valda said...

Hi Willa,

I enjoyed the pictures from the car, its nice to know someone else who takes pictures on the move to capture the weather or just enjoy the scenery.

Valda