Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Wednesday Weighing

I was googling for a Wednesday Weight meme and found this one which I like. It is 2 stay at home moms who have some weight to lose and are keeping a public record for support and accountability. You can leave your name in their Mr Linky. For me -- basically once a week I am going to try to record my weight loss or gain and try to reflect on what is causing the problems or successes. Though I am talking about weighing in I am thinking more in terms of working on various goals and habits and listing them out so I can reflect on them once a week. I don't technically have a lot of weight to lose but I hate the carelessness of just consuming junk all day. And I am up 13 pounds from my goal weight. So I want to try to get back down to the normal by early June. You can see my ticker with the details at the bottom of the page.

FOOD:

The week before this week was a bad portion control week, and on Sunday I had gone up 4 pounds. But today the weigh-in was relatively good news. I was down 3 pounds from that high, so almost back to where I was a couple of weeks ago. My main challenge -- once I have a bit of processed flour and sugar in my system, my hunger signals become utterly, utterly unreliable. But during the winter especially I just crave carbs. I'm going with that but trying to eat more whole grains and fruits and limit the simple carbohydrates. For the past three days I've done OK with that. I'm also trying to stay with 3 meals and a snack rather than grazing all day. I am counting this as Day 7 even though it took me the first 4 days to actually get into the swing of it and like I said, on Day 4 I had actually gained weight.

EXERCISE:

I am trying to exercise lightly several times a week. This means usually 20 minutes of medium level cycling on the stationary bike while I read a book. Sometimes I go for a walk or shovel or do something equivalent. I started off with 10 minutes 3 times a week a couple of weeks ago, and am now up to 20 minutes 4 times a week. The next step up will be 30 minutes, 4 times a week and then I'll probably stay there but raise the difficulty level of the bike (not too much though because I hate vigorous exercise). My Rivendell Challenge is on the sidebar. So far this month I've gone about 38 miles. On the bike a mile takes a bit less than 5 minutes at the speed I go.

VITAMINS and FRUITS/VEGETABLES

Consistent with the vitamins and stepped up on fruits and vegetables this week.

Now the two other things I want to start being better about:

COFFEE

For Lent I want to back off pretty drastically on coffee so it's probably a good idea to start tapering now. I'm trying to increase my fondness for tea since I think warm drinks are almost essential in winter for people with poor circulation.

INTERNET

I'm just going to try an "internet diet", just like the portion control with food. I found this Internet Addiction questionnaire. Want to try it? Even when I was as severe as I could be honestly in answering the questions I could barely get above 50 which puts me barely in the area of needing to question whether the internet was having a detrimental effect on my life. If I answer more conservatively I am in the safe zone. Still, obviously I'd rather not even be in the yellow alert area, so it's time to try some internet "weighing-in". For this week I'm going to just try to be more conscious of how often and for how long I get on the internet (it's so darn easy to log on with DSL and the laptop sitting so cheerfully right in the middle of everything). Then I'll see where to go from there.

Do you really care about this? Sorry, folks. Putting these things out here helps me keep track and remind myself -- it looks deadly boring to me when I read over it but I know I like looking at other peoples' resolutions and those help inspire me so in that spirit I might as well put this up : ).

No comments: