- 110 miles for daily mass
- 110 miles for Sunday mass
- 110 miles for a Tridentine rite mass
- 110 miles for confession behind a screen.
- 110 miles for a priest at all.
- 110 miles for the dentist and orthodontist
- 110 miles for any of Aidan's crew of specialists with whom he has regular clinic app'ts.
- 110 miles for his physical therapy.
- 110 miles for the nearest blood draw place where Aidan gets his regular labs.
- 110 miles for the nearest Emergency Room or urgent care clinic, or hospital.
- 110 miles to the nearest college or university campus.
- 110 miles for Costco, Target, the book store, the dollar store, the shoe store, the clothes store, the music store, the health food store, the UPS station, office supply store, DMV or any type of place like that.
- 110 miles for any sports or cultural event, art gallery, science exhibition
- 40 miles for a second Saturday vigil mass if we happen to miss the early vigil mass up here.
- 40 miles for any kind of grocery shopping (if you don't count the little markets in our town which are priced for the ski vacationer)
- 40 miles for the nearest drug store.
- 40 miles for the nearest doctor.
- 40 miles for the tiny local homeschool group.
- 40 miles for any kind of little league seasonal sports practice or event like baseball, soccer, basketball, or football.
- 40 miles for the local high school.
- 40 miles for drama productions, dance, choir, gymnastics, choir or any of that kind of thing.
- 40 miles for the local community theatric company rehearsals and events.
I could go on but you get the idea.
What's close to us:
- A truly spectacular national forest right outside our front door.
- A very wonderful violin teacher.
- A tiny public library with hardly any books, where we can, however, have all kinds of books couriered to us from the whole country library system, and librarians who like us and sometimes save crates of old give-aways for us to look through first before they go on the discard shelves.
- A postmaster and grocer who know us well and talk to us
- Safe and respectful neighbors, mostly retirees.
We've been settled here for twelve years, and I don't want to leave our home, but in a way I do, and the main reasons can probably be summed up in terms of miles driven.