Friday, March 13, 2009

Wednesday Weigh -- a bit late again

Up 1 pound this week. So down 3 pounds with 9 to go to meet my goal.

I was actually up 2 pounds this Wednesday, but I though it had something to do with the time of the month so I decided to try again today. I have been eating pretty well and exercising daily, so I know that if I keep it up, there won't be the wild blood sugar swings that usually sabotage my fitness level.

About the exercise: it is mostly still cycling on the stationary bike, usually for 30 minutes a day. One day I dropped to 20 minutes. I tried 35 minutes one day but it was still too much. I have gone up one level of intensity on my cycle, though. I am at 145 miles on my "walk" to Rivendell (see sidebar). They say you can substitute biking or swimming for walking so that's what I'm doing.

I finished Shadows of Ecstasy by Charles Williams and couldn't find any other fiction I wanted to read right at the moment so I am reading through Kieron's Ambleside books and trying to narrate mentally in order to get an idea of what I am putting him through : ). Yesterday I read Robinson Crusoe and today I read George Washington's World. When you're exercising it's better to find something light enough to keep your attention while not causing your mind to get strained, since you are already working physically. At least this is what is working for me right now.

Some people listen to tapes while exercising but for me, listening is more difficult than reading and I can't do it while I'm trying to exercise. Maybe when I get to a better level of fitness I'll be able to, but not right now.

So far I haven't been counting calories or really trying to eat particularly lightly. I wanted to see if I could lose weight without doing those things. The evidence isn't fully in yet. I'm hovering about 3 pounds down from my starting weight, give or take a pound or two. So I'll try it that way for about another week and then if my weight's not moving, or if it's moving the wrong way, I'll try to consciously cut down a bit in portions. Meanwhile as long as there's still snow on the ground and the house is generally freezing me at about 62 degrees I don't really mind that extra 10 pounds so much. When spring comes I'm sure I'll be more motivated, but right now I am wearing too many sweaters for a little extra flesh to matter all that much.

No comments: