Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Recovery Mode

Now that Aidan’s surgery is past, I feel energetic for the first time in about a month. I am looking at the house, wondering how it got so bad without me really being aware of it.

This is my basic system, when I have a system:

Daily Focus

Weekly Focus

I have these jobs written on colored index cards and I think I need to get them out because it seems to help me to work efficiently when I have some tangible objects to shuffle through and categorize.

Today, I basically just spent sorting and tidying. There were so many things out of their rightful places that it will take some time just to restore them, let alone the actual cleaning that needs to be done.

Oh, and yesterday the digital camera finally came. So yesterday Clare took pics and today, we spent a long time installing the software and hardware so we could upload the pictures to the computer. Mission finally accomplished and we kept fairly even tempers though Clare has either inherited or acquired my habit of vocalizing frustration, only she does it in reverse ratio to our respective ages. She’s about a third my age and she multiplies the venting times three. Whatever. But it was definitely one of those life skills sessions and I was glad to have her helping me since reading instruction manuals and interacting with computer capabilities is not my thing.

Tomorrow, the kids need to do their weekly jobs, and clean their rooms.

This evening, we had our third Story Club meeting. The second one was held on the porch of Grandma’s cabin by the lake last week, and I never wrote about it because, well, we were at the cabin and when we got home there was too much going on in the present to actually write about what had gone by. The first one was just Liam and me. The second one included not only us, but also Clare, Brendan, Sean and Kieron. Kieron expressed a wish to start working again on his Adventures of Link story which he had stopped working on almost a year ago. Clare and Brendan said that they might like to read parts of their stories in the next meeting.

So at this meeting, Clare and Brendan brought their stories as well. We made hot chocolate and I had coffee. First Liam read, then I read a bit of Brendan’s (since Brendan was a bit embarrassed to read himself), then Clare read some of hers, after a LOT of stalling and Sean teasing and generally being a “swine 13 year old” (Inspector Clouseau’s choice of adjective). When she did read, she read absolutely beautifully with a slight brogue that made her folky tale of faeries come alive.

Then I read mine, and Liam read some of Brendan’s.

Results: Brendan is thinking of doing his own reading aloud at the next meeting, and Kieron got Liam to transfer his story over to my computer so he could print it out and start working on it again. Pretty good! Times like this make me feel so good about how we function as a family.

After that, since I’d promised Aidan I’d take him outside, I went out with him even though it was 9 pm and dark outside. All the kids came out, except Liam (who isn’t really a kid, of course). That was good too — Paddy was so cute like a small white shadow with white feet, since he was in his socks. We kept the little kids clustered near us because though we hardly ever get any traffic on our cul-de-sac, any car that would chance to come would not be expecting little kids on the street at that hour.

Aidan actually was acting BETTER today than he has at any time since he got his tube out May 18th. Poor guy has been living a post-surgery life for a month and this is real progress now! No more leaking or acid pains. The incision is absolutely beautiful. The scar will be minimal.

Story Club Meeting

No comments: