Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Seven Habits for the School Year

Seven Habits of Highly Effective School Years at Maureen's Trinity Prep School. Hers is great and she has also linked to many more.

Back last spring, I made a rough list of Principles which I will now try to tweak and smooth into Habits or Dispositions.

1. Habit of seeking the "good, true and beautiful."
2. Habit of attentiveness. Pay attention; observe; be there.
3. Habit of keeping priorities straight -- putting first things first, seeing the big picture and so on. Also known as the philosophical habit of mind.
4. Habit of order. This is what helps me out with the detail part of the big picture.
5. Habit of fostering motivation and the responsible use of the will by balancing freedom and discipline.
6. Habit of relationships. All human interactions, all knowledge of subjects, indeed all sentences or thoughts are composed of relationships of one thing to another.
7. Habit of simplicity. Start small.... less is more.... small can be beautiful. You don't have to do it all to be successful.

My motto for this year is the late Pope John Paul II's: "Be not afraid."

2 comments:

Karen Edmisten said...

A wonderful list of habits -- in my case, some of them are goals rather than habits ....

Willa said...

Karen,
In my case, that's true too--
Yet even my most basic habits are only goals, some of the time : ).