Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Who could ask for anything more?

A classic pro-homeschool rant by a writer I admire very much, and good coffee. Great start to the day!

I recognized my kids in her description. They are not perfect kids and we don’t have a perfect homeschool, but… They have opinions! They enjoy learning! They get absorbed in things and when they participate in classes and teams, they are not a drag and a discipline problem but rather are a plus to the group and display a great work ethic! They think things through! If that’s weird, maybe it’s our society that has some work to do on “normalizing”. Let’s get it straight, folks. Homeschooling is not a threat to society unless “threat” is defined as “standing outside the herd mentality”. I thought our public schools were formed to raise leaders, principled citizens and achievers. That is the rhetoric, anyway. If that’s what our homeschools are doing, why can’t we get credit for our civic efforts?

BTW: I know I’ve been off-duty in this blog. I meant to write every day if possible, but a combination of a heat-wave, and an organizational spree, and planning for next year and, um, stressing (why do I do that to myself) has left me AWOL.

No comments: