Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Physical Therapy -- January

I wanted to start something new here by jotting down quick notes on Aidan’s therapy since of course, as a special needs child the therapies he receives form part of his whole learning environment. It is late at night so this is going to be the high-speed version — I just want to get it written out. I have a template that I use on my computer — Type of Service/Place/Date/ Description/Details/Follow-up. I use it for therapy and for medical services in order to keep track so I can go back later and remind myself. My memory is by no means infinite these days.

Today’s appointment with Miss L went well. Aidan was very cooperative but a little bit spacy, I’m not sure why. He listened and paid attention but had this sort of dreamy smile the whole time and didn’t interact much. One factor was that there was a much older boy, probably a young adult, there who was learning to use his motorized wheelchair. Aidan really keyed in on that because he loves strollers and wheelchairs, particularly their wheels. Even after the youth was gone he still seemed a bit preoccupied.

Today L worked on him with his hip flexion which continues to be an issue. She had him do various climbing projects like stairs, ladder and low tables leading with his affected left foot. It really throws him off balance since he tries to step up without actually bending his hip. The other project that’s been on the agenda for a while has been to get him to respond to verbal cues with regard to his affected foot. In other words, where she says “put your brace foot up first” rather than guides him physically. I have been working at home on his response to verbalizations like: “relax your ankle” when he has to get his brace on it. He used to stiffen it, not because he was being defiant but because he couldn’t get his muscle on the affected foot to obey. Then we got where he just needed me to tap a bit to reinforce the vocal part, and now he can usually actually relax (if he’s in a cooperative mood). This is good because it means he can make his motor movement react to something relatively abstract.

Follow-Up:

  • We will continue trying this “left foot up stairs first” at home. It was easy and he seemed to actually enjoy the challenge, often remembering to put the brace foot first even without a reminder.
  • Also, stepping in and out of a box or a ladder put down on the floor horizontally.
  • Also, stretching his hand out past his midline and half-squatting at the same time.
  • Also, marching
  • and finally, going backwards and pulling something heavy like maybe his wheelchair with something in it.

Hopefully, writing it out like this will help me with follow-up. Always a challenge for me to schedule concrete activities into a day’s routine ESPECIALLY if they are not my inspiration in the first place. Not just rebelliousness, though I’m sure that’s part of it; but partly because outside suggestions don’t seem to become real in my mind unless they are reinforced somehow; especially if the suggestions are verbal. Guess I sort of know how Aidan feels then. Cool