Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Preparedness

My daughter wrote a nice post about Unexpected Housekeeping; her perspective on what goes on when Mom is absent. She writes:


Yes, I love housekeeping... but I'm not very good at it.

It was a bit of a surprise to reflect on that. The fact is, while I'm always helping my mother out, I rarely handle everything myself. I found that I wasn't sure about the proper way to cook many of our standard meals... that I wasn't really sure about quite a few things. In other words, while I'd just love to run my own house, I'm afraid that I wouldn't be terribly efficient.


My similar epiphany didn't come until I was married, and I didn't even have her experience with isolated chores, so she is ahead of the game compared to me. And I had never acquired a basic love or respect for the art of householding. Which meant I actually had to start from somewhere on the minus side of the scale.

But perhaps, considering her thoughts, our family life skills "curriculum" should expand to learning how to supervise and meta-maintain.

I am still learning as I go on this!

She also has a book recommendation, with which I am in accord.