- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2/3 cup butter, melted and divided
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup macadamia nuts coarsely chopped (so it says but who has the $$$ for macadamias -- we just skip them)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- 1/2 tsp shortening (I guess this is to grease the pan but I just used a bit of butter since we don't keep shortening around)
Preheat oven to 350". Grease 13x9 baking pan or two 8-inch square baking pans. In medium bowl, stir together cocoa and baking soda, blend in 1/3 cup melted butter. Add boiling water; stir until mixture thickens. Stir in sugar, eggs and remaining 1/3 melted butter; stir until smooth.
Add flour, vanilla and salt; blend well. stir in nuts and chocolate chips. Pour into prepared pan(s). Bake 35 to 40 minutes for 13x9 pan or 30 to 35 minutes for square pans, or until brownies begin to pull away from sides of pan. Cool completely in pan on wire rack.
You can sprinkle with powdered sugar, or make a white frosting with a bit of peppermint flavoring and sprinkle crushed candy canes on top.
• 1/2 tsp Vanilla
• 2 tbsp Milk
• 2 Cups powdered sugar
• 2 tbsp Butter