Sunday, December 28, 2008

Resolutions and Retrospectives for 2009


Photo by Brendan R

Almost time for those New Years' Resolutions again!

Here are last years':


If I look at how I actually did compared to what my goals were:

  • Make it the rest of the way to Rivendell. Then find another journey to go on.
(I did this)
  • Stay in my target weight range.
(I did this)
  • Eat properly and make decent food for my family.
(Hmm.... inconsistent)
  • Continue our family story society (which means continue my story, which means getting past writer's block).
(We haven't kept this up)
  • Keep the under-structure of our house organized (that means, though the floor might get messy, we have a cleaning and organization system that works so we can find things we want and avoid things we don't want, like super-bacteria.)
(Well, sort of.... see Household Journey and Household Checklists for the nitty-gritty)
  • Same with time management.
(hmm, could still use some work)
(I let this drop completely....sigh)
  • Study 5 encyclicals, 4 GBWW, and the Bible in English with a regular habit of reference to the Greek and Latin (There! That's concrete!)
(I did read at least 5 encyclicals. I didn't get very far with the Great Books, and I didn't get all the way through the Bible like I had hoped).
  • Spend time with my family -- reading, games, conversations, travels and traditions. Schedule this in and plan accountability checks.
(I didn't do the scheduling, but I have been slightly better about conversations with the older ones and playing time with the little ones -- still room for improvement)
  • Look over my goals at regular times -- once a month -- and see how I'm doing on them.
(Nope, completely let this drop).

  • I had hoped to keep a better reading list this year, but I didn't.

(Here, though, is what I did keep. )

I don't think I'll change my resolutions too much for this year. I'll continue the ones I kept and carry over the ones I didn't keep.

I usually try to think of a motto or theme for the year, which was from an idea of Leonie's.

This year, the one I keep thinking of is one I've mentioned before.....

"Purify the source."
It came from Flannery O'Connor by way of Maritain who was quoting Mauriac. According to that, Shelley wrote:

"whatever strengthens and purifies the affections, enlarges the imagination, and adds spirit to sense, is useful"
and again this evokes St Paul:

For the rest, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever modest, whatsoever just, whatsoever holy, whatsoever lovely, whatsoever of good fame, if there be any virtue, if any praise of discipline, think on these things.

1 comment:

Faith said...

Willa, ya done good! (As my father used to say whenever we accomplished something.)

I think my motto for the year is going to be from a the Christmas homily our retired Monsignor gave. He told us to live 'temperately, justly and devoutly.' Those words rang in my mind for a couple of days. Still do, actually.

Thanks for linking to my old list of books I wanted to read. I never go back to DumbOx for some reason, so I had completely forgotten about that. It was fun to go through and see what I had read and hadn't. So thanks for giving me an enjoyable evening remeniscing(sp? looks wrong but too lazy to look it up!) about reading.

Happy New Year!